Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Przyrodniczego w Poznaniu

Biblioteka Uniwersytetu Przyrodniczego w Poznaniu

Nauka Przyroda Technologie

Thomson Routers Master List

Scopus

Ebsco

Directory of Open Acces Journals

CBR- Open Access Journals in Poland

FOOD SCIENCE CENTRAL

Index Copernicus Journal Master List

Pubmed Medline

Polska Bibliografia Naukowa

Creaive Commons

Creative Commons licence CC BY-NC (Attribution-NonCommercial)
Issue 10 (3) 2011 pp. 399-406

Patrycja Krzyżanowska1, Aleksandra Lisowska1, Halina Woś2, Maria Trawińska-Bartnicka3, Lyudmyla Bober4, Nataliya Rohovyk4, Marta Rachel5, Jarosław Walkowiak1,6

1Poznań University of Medical Sciences, Poland
2
Medical University of Silesia in Katowice, Poland
3
The Specialist Centre for Medical Care of Mother and Child in Gdańsk, Poland
4
Lviv Regional Council Public Institution &#
8

2

2
0;Western Ukrainian Specialized Children&#
8

2
1
7
;s Medical Centre&#
8

2

2
1;, Lviv Cystic Fibrosis Centre, Lviv, Ukraina
5
Medical University in Rzeszów, Poland
6
Poznań University of Life Sciences, Poland

Vitamin K status in young children with cystic fibrosis

Abstract

 Introduction. Cystic fibrosis (CF) patients are at risk of developing vitamin K deficiency. However, there is no clinical data clearly describing vitamin K status in the youngest age group. Therefore, in the present study we aimed to assess body resources of vitamin K in children aged up to 3 years and to correlate vitamin K status with selected clinical factors.

Material and methods. The study comprised 52 CF patients receiving and not receiving vitamin K supplementation. In all subjects, the concentration of the undercarboxylated prothrombin (PIVKA-II), as a marker of vitamin K deficiency, was determined.
Results. PIVKA-II concentrations were pathological in 24 (46.2%) CF children, in remaining 28 (53.8%) patients vitamin K status was found to be normal. No statistical differences in clinical parameters (Z-score for body height and weight, number of hospitalizations and sweat chloride concentrations) neither in distribution of Pseudomonas aeruginosa colonization nor in pancreatic status between selected subgroups with normal and abnormal PIVKA-II concentrations were documented. Normal vitamin K status was more frequent in patients receiving proper vitamin K supplementation (p < 0.0078). However, vitamin K deficiency appeared in 5 out of 21 patients receiving at least 2.5 mg vitamin K/week. In logistic regression model, no clinical parameter was proven to be a risk factor for vitamin K deficiency.

Conclusion. Vitamin K deficiency is frequent in CF infants and toddlers, and may also appear in those receiving recommended supplementation. There is no strong relationship between clinical expression of the disease and vitamin K status.

 

Keywords: cystic fibrosis, vitamin K deficiency, PIVKA-II
pub/.pdf Full text available in english in Adobe Acrobat format:
http://www.food.actapol.net/issue3/volume/10_3_2011.pdf

For citation:

MLA Krzyżanowska, Patrycja, et al. "Vitamin K status in young children with cystic fibrosis." Acta Sci.Pol. Technol. Aliment. 10.3 (2011): 399-406.
APA Krzyżanowska P., Lisowska A., Woś H., Trawińska-Bartnicka M., Bober L., Rohovyk N., Rachel M., Walkowiak J. (2011). Vitamin K status in young children with cystic fibrosis. Acta Sci.Pol. Technol. Aliment. 10 (3), 399-406
ISO 690 KRZYżANOWSKA, Patrycja, et al. Vitamin K status in young children with cystic fibrosis. Acta Sci.Pol. Technol. Aliment., 2011, 10.3: 399-406.